Sunday, May 6, 2012

May the Fourth...be with you!

This last Friday was a great day for at least two reasons. First, it was my last day of final exams here at Iowa State University. This is a huge relief and I'm looking forward to a summer without lectures and assignments and textbook reading (of course I'll have to keep up with my research and with relevant scientific literature). I'm so happy to reach this point in my grad studies.

The second reason it was a great day was that Stephanie threw a surprise celebration party. May 4th is "Star Wars day" (get it? "May the Fourth be with you") so Stephanie created a themed dinner with all sorts of cleverly named finger foods.

Star Wars fare dinner: Yoda's soda (sherbet floats), Hutt dogs (Lil' smokies),  Luke's lightsabers (frosted pretzel sticks), and Palpatine's produce.

Vader taters, Bantha fodder (homemade Butterfingers), Wookie cookies (Oreos), Princess Lays (chips),  and "Han" burgers. 
Stephanie really outdid herself (again) in terms of creativity, and we had a lot of fun eating together and playing with "lightsabers" (foam pool noodles) afterward.

Stephanie's hair wasn't quite long enough for the Leia buns, so she went for the closest she could get!
After the kids went to bed, we played a Star Wars-themed Trivial Pursuit (yes we still have that from my high school days!). I am both happy and sad to report that for the first time in our marriage, Stephanie bested me in the contest!

This is the third or fourth of such themed dates Stephanie has put together in the last several months. Since we can't afford to get babysitters very often right now, these dates have been a nice break from the relatively lame Friday night dates I've planned (or more often, failed to plan). I'm really lucky to have a girl like Steph!

And finally, here are a couple of random cute recent pictures.

Josh, you don't want to know where that's been...

We got a nice solid wood bookshelf at a garage sale this week. Later Joshua had fun closing himself in the cabinet.
Heather enjoying a raw onion. What is up with this girl?

Mmmm...yummy!

2 comments:

Rachel and Erick Morwood said...

Stephanie, I wish I had your creativity! That looks like a lot of fun. I've heard that Heathers Great-Grandpa Coleman eats onions raw too.

Jenny said...

Mmmmm, I want the recipe for those homemade butterfingers!