Sunday, November 30, 2014

November and Joseph's Birth Story, Part 2

November was eventful as well. I spent most of my time at the hospital, but once I could drive, I came home a lot more often. It was important for me to be there for his feedings, so I was rarely home for long. I truly believe that one of the reasons he did so well with gaining weight, breastfeeding, and thriving in general, is because I was there. Babies need their mommies! On November 3, after a lot of hard work, he got his feeding tube removed. Well, we will be honest and say he pulled it out (for the hundredth time!), they just didn't put it back in. And he did awesome!

No more feeding tube!

I just love those little wrinkes!
He continued to slowly gain weight, ounce by ounce, until on November 7 his doctor gave the go ahead to start rooming in! Josh and Heather came by that night, and held him for the first time. They were SO EXCITED! We had a little bit of drama, but other than that, we were a happy family. It was nice to finally all be together. I love our little family so much!









After 2 days rooming in, we were able to go home on November 9th. We had to wait until Joey was at least 4 lbs. before he could go home. He was weighed that morning, and was just under 4lbs. But we re-weighed him in the afternoon when the doctor was there, and he gave to go ahead! We did the car seat test, to make sure their oxygen saturation stays up when elevated for an extended period of time. He passed with flying colors. It was so nice to be home in my own bed, with my own family. No more beeping and getting up, going down the hall (in all the bright lights), and fully waking every 3 hours! All I had to do was walk 5 steps in the semi-dark, and nurse him before rolling back in bed. :) Ahh...it's the little things.

Look how tiny. SO cute!








Jessica was still around to help out, and life regained some normalcy. We got a little bit of a routine going. But on Nov. 21, my family came to take Jessica away! After a week long visit for Thanksgiving.


First bath at home.

One of Jessica's many selfies...seriously. I probably had 1 GB of them by the time she left...



My three boys.

Love those wrinkles!

Josh and Mommy doing a science experiment.

Reading before bedtime.


It was a lot of fun, we got to meet Efren (Hannah's boyfriend) who helped my Mom drive out, we went to Indianapolis, my mom and I got away for a little while, and spent way too long (according to the boys) at the antique mall. It was an enjoyable time for all. We stuffed ourselves on Thanksgiving and had pie and leftovers for DAYS afterwards.



Uncle John and Joey


Rare smile caught on camera. He must know who she is.

Checking out Indy. Not the best photo, but we were there. :)

Heather loved the seashell display at the library.

We couldn't find any elevators, so the boys took turns lifting the stroller down (and up) the stairs.
Indy 500 track. Josh was SO excited!

We had probably 7 pies! They were all delicious!


Josh and Isaac loved rough housing with Efren.


 The family left a few days after Thanksgiving, and Jessica went with them. It was sad to see her go. She and I had developed a great relationship that we hadn't cultivated yet, because she was 6 when I left home. I am so grateful she came! It was wonderful in so many ways! BUT it was nice to have her gone too. Does that even make sense? It was nice to be our own little family unit, and to really get into our new routine.



In hindsight, I am also grateful for the experiences we went through in October and November. I feel like now that I have experienced preeclampsia, a preemie, and a c section, I can understand other people better. And know how to help them when they are going through similar situations. We are still figuring things out, but I love our new and improved family. Joseph belongs with us!



1 comment:

smadamom said...

I just saw this. I love it. Who knew in our young imaginations of being a mother that it would be so hard and yet so amazing as well. Love you guys.